Sunday, January 31, 2010

Southwest Corner


Southwest Corner, 8 x 8
.
"Cold and sunny" was the forecast for Saturday morning; and sure enough, the temperature gauge in my car read 31. The snowflake symbol was on. (I know, really, in Texas?) In spite of the arctic conditions, four hearty souls came to our Plein Air Austin paintout! Ya gotta love that kind of bravery. We painted at the Art School at Laguna Gloria, and this corner of the Villa was absolutely glowing in the morning light. Fingertips were numb by the end, but we had a great time.
.
Click to purchase $140 + $12 s/h
See more Small Works

11 comments:

Johanna Spinks said...

this is glorious. I love everything about it.

Janelle Goodwin said...

I love the concept of organic against a manmade element. Very intriguing and beautiful!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Great painting, great spot TO paint! And it's funny... that morning I had to run out to the deck at Amy's house just to FEEL the cold! At home in RI my husband said it was 7 degrees - and that's before the wind chill factor! With no wind, yes, 30 is paintable! Thank you for a wonderful workshop, and all the fabulous tips your generously shared. It was an honor painting with you.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

This is a beauty! I will be picking Kelley's brain :D

Linda Popple said...

Love this painting. The colors are beautiful and I like the composition. Your blog is always a treat for me to explore.

Linda

Marian Fortunati said...

Looks like the cold weather was invigorating enough to help you create a lovely painting!

Barbara Muir said...

Wow that is bravery! And the painting looks so warm. We're actually having snow in Toronto now, but I have no idea if it will last.

Beautiful painting, nice abstraction and cool perspective.

XOXOXOXOXBarbara

Sara Winters said...

Love it!

Róisín O'Farrell said...

Hi Laurel,

You've just been nominated for a blog award for your fantastic blog. By me! Actually it's a sunshine award for positivity and creativity in blogging. Check out my blog for more details and keep up the good work.

Róisín

DJ said...

Lovely brush-handling by numb fingers.
Paint on...

julie davis said...

Just "overlapped" awarding you with the Sunshine Award. :) Couldn't help it--you deserve it!