Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sunflowers In Water - Color


Sunflowers In Water, L. Daniel, 16 x 12


I painted these examples for my still life class which met again today, where we continue to focus on water, glass and light. (I am sure you recognize the sunflowers from yesterday's value study - those flowers were just so paintable!!)

All my set-ups for class included glass vessels again, but this time each had something in the water. Though it seems a simple addition, it did complicate things! :) We started with the small "mosaic" study first; observing spots of color throughout the subject (and resisting the urge to connect and refine). The idea behind this warm-up is to identify shapes and placement and to loosen up before tackling a larger canvas.


Sunflower in Water Mosaic Study, L. Daniel, 6 x 4

4 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Lucky students! I can tell that you are a great teacher. Sunflowers are a joy to paint and learning to paint glass and water is sooo valuable. :-)

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Thanks for sharing your process!! Lovely painting I agree with Linda - your students are indeed lucky to have you as their teacher!

Virginia Floyd said...

This is lovely, even though it's just an exercise. I really regret that I was never able to take one of your classes.

I really appreciate all the helpful instruction you've shared on you blog.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

fabulous! These value studies tell the tale.