Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sunflowers In Water Value Study

Sunflowers in Water Value Study, L. Daniel, 10 x 8

Observation for today: white in the background is darker and more muted than yellow in the foreground with a spotlight on it. It's mind-bending because the brain "knows" that yellow is darker than white, but the eye sees something different (if you let it.) Color is deceiving.

Over-riding what the brain "knows" is a huge challenge: it requires seeing shapes (not nameable things) and simple bits of dark and light (instead of color). Then it requires a little nerve and a lot of trust to put the bits down where you see them. What is amazing though, is that if you constantly compare each value against the others and adjust them accordingly, the shapes begin to look like something.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful study. Who needs color? You're right, letting go of what your mind tells you and going with what you actually see is the challenge.

Linda Popple said...

Such a lovely value study!

julie davis said...

These are such great exercises. I find myself surprised at how much more I can get out of color after working in black and white for a while. This one IS lovely -- and does make me see the values more clearly.

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Beautiful!!! I agree with Kelley - who needs color. Delgihtful!

Mike Barr said...

This has really hit the spot Laurel - well done!

John Farnsworth said...

Laurel, this one's a real beauty. Great volume. Very sculptural. I can look at these flowers and know exactly how they would feel to the touch.

Boldheadstudio said...

great studies, you certainly know what you´re doing :)

claire christinel said...

Fascinating isn't it! This is why we all love to paint. The learning never ends! This study is a little jewel.

Marilyn Flanegan said...

just beautiful, and with a rich balance of subtilties and contrasts.

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

I appreciate your sharing these insights, and your painting proves it all like a theorem proved in geometry class, bam!(except with much more grace) Lovely.

Lorraine Shirkus said...

This value study is gorgeous! You articulated so well the thing I struggle with most . . . the trust to set down a shape as I see it instead of what I think I know or trying to meld the shape into the object.

fairiemoon said...

This one really is fascinating. I don't know if I could separate the color from the value in my mind like that. Yikes.

Erin :)

Randall said...

I like this one. Nicely done.

~Kirby