Sunday, April 8, 2012

Morning Splendor - Quick Draw in Dallas

Morning Splendor, 9 x 12, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012


Wondering what a "quick draw" is??? At a quick draw, participating painters gather at one location for a TIMED painting contest (very popular at plein air events). Think "paint off"... like "dance off" or "sing off"... it's all in good fun, but can we say nerve-racking? Pounding hearts, flying brushes, ticking clock... you get the picture. On Saturday morning, the Outdoor Painters Society hosted a quick draw at White Rock Lake Park in conjunction with our show in Dallas. We had two hours to paint - no more, no less. This is my painting from the morning's effort. I was pretty happy I had something to turn in - it was downright scary. :)


Available at the Southwest Gallery in Dallas. 

4 comments:

Ann Rogers said...

Thought I was the only one having those scary heart pounding moments, especially since that was my first quick draw. Love, love, love your results, in fact, I have to admit that when I ran into you coming into the gallery and saw this painting, my first instinct was to go back in and pull mine off the wall! Well done, Laurel! Great seeing you again this weekend.

Tracey Mardon said...

It's a beaut!

Kathy Cousart said...

My heart was pounding just reading your post= I can't imagine a real quick draw! Love this one!! That sunlit pink against those greens is just fabulous. Love the shadows in the tree. Laurel you are just painting so beautifully! Yay:)

Barbara Muir said...

Wow! You are amazing. Lucky person who buys your "quick draw."

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOBarbara