Saturday, August 4, 2012

Weathered Bluff and Stormy Lake - Door County Plein Air

Weathered Bluff, 12 x 9, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012

These two paintings from the Door County Plein Air Festival are completely connected, story-wise, so I am posting them together...

I got up very early one morning to paint the rocky cove above. I was sure that the morning light would be just gorgeous, but about 20 minutes after I started, it began to rain. Clearly a big storm was coming so I had to quit. Packing up my car, I noticed the "Stormy Lake" view below and determined that I could paint that scene under the tailgate of my rental car. The storm got louder and wilder. Eventually, I was completely inside the car, cross-legged, and finished the painting with my easel practically in my lap. 

I did go back the next day for the "Weathered Bluff" painting - I was committed! It was overcast again, but still beautiful. I do want to go back again sometime when it's sunny! Hopefully next year?? :) 

(Again, please forgive the blurry photos, I did not have the right equipment with me to get good images. Still kicking myself.)

Stormy Lake, 12 x 9, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012, NFS

2 comments:

Nancy Colella said...

Once again! You are such an inspiration! Those paintings are both worth the effort!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

I really like the segment of turquoise water in the top one. It speaks of the storm.
.....and having started 'car painting' after reading Trevor Chamberlain's book, Oil Painting Pure and Simple, I commend you for your cross legged (numbness) tailgate dedication ;D