Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Hydrangea Bouquet

Hydrangea Bouquet, 20 x 20, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016
SOLD

This year I have been slow to post, but hard at work nonetheless! I have a big show coming up in April, so I am deep into the process of building a new body of work for that. The show will be at the Davis Gallery in Austin, and I will keep you posted on details as the time gets closer! Meanwhile, I am working larger and have been waiting for a few paintings to dry, so that I could sign, photograph, and start sharing. 

A beautiful hydrangea bouquet inspired my first piece. After a nice break at Christmas, painting from life brought me back to the rhythm of observation and focus that I love so much. 2015 was a busy, noisy year for me due to our home renovation, and I can not tell you how much I am enjoying the quiet, daily practice of going into my studio and loading my brushes. Pure joy!

Please stay tuned, as I plan to post about my process of preparing for a gallery show.

Painters - join me at this Plein Air Workshop:
April 28-30, Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
Contact Info: Mary Anderson, 912-634-8414

Graphite Study for Hydrangea Bouquet, 8 x 8
I am a drawer, so a quick sketch is always part of getting started for me. It's a great way to play around with composition and identify patterns of dark and light. 


3 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

I love the painting and the drawing. Wonderful.

Can't wait to see the rest of your work!

XOXOXOXOXOXO Barbara

Marilyn Flanegan said...

Your drawings are as lush as your paintings Laurel - getting lost in your hydrangeas. divine. Anticipating the posts you mentioned entailing your prep for shows. Hope to see you at a paint out before your opening at the Davis Gallery in April!

Marcela Strasdas said...

Love both the painting and the drawing, looking forward to seeing more!